At original locations, the history of the Reformation in Saxony is still tangible today.
Living heritage: Since the 16th century, Saxony has been considered the "motherland of the Reformation". The fascinating history is still tangible here today at numerous original sites. Let yourself be captivated on a 4-day tour!
Seldom has a dispute achieved such great significance as the "Leipzig Disputation". In view of the historical dimension, its fame is not surprising. For example, the verbal confrontation between the reformers around Martin Luther and the theology professor Johannes Eck showed once and for all that a rapprochement between the two sides was no longer possible. As a result of the "Leipzig Disputation", the Protestant and Catholic churches came into being.
In the trade fair city, however, you re not only following in Martin Luther's footsteps. You will also learn about the life and work of Johann Sebastian Bach - because both personalities are united in music.
Your tour through the "Motherland of the Reformation" begins in Dresden. One of the highlights of your stay in the historic capital of Saxony will be a visit to the Frauenkirche. The church is not only one of the most magnificent buildings in Dresden, but also has a special significance for the Reformation: according to Martin Luther's ideas, it represents the ideal image of a Protestant church building.
No other place can you experience the Reformation as authentically as in Torgau. The town in the north of Saxony has several Reformation sites to explore on the third day of your trip. Here you ll have the opportunity to see a building of special value: the castle church in Torgau. Luther himself consecrated the church, which is considered the first new Protestant church, in 1544. You will also learn exciting details about the life of Katharina von Bora, who died in Torgau and is buried in St Mary's Church.
1. Day: Dresden - Treasures from the Reformation
- City tour with a focus on the Reformation
- Visit the Dresden State Art Collections including the "Old Masters"
- Visit the Frauenkirche
- City tour in the footsteps of Luther and Bach
- Visit St. Thomas Church and St. Nicholas Church
- Visit the City Museum with valuable exhibits from the Reformation period
- Visit the Bach Museum
- Guided tour of the world-famous restaurant "Auerbachs Keller"
- City tour "Martin Luther, Katharina von Bora and the Reformation in Torgau"
- Visit Hartenfels Castle and see the current special exhibition
- Visit the castle church
- Explore St. Mary's Church with Katharina von Bora epitaph
- Small organ concert
- Visit the house where Katharina von Bora died